Saturday, October 18, 2008

Date Night!

I wanted to plan a romantic date night for T-man, so I decided that since it's fall (in Texas) I should start by making him some pumpkin cookies.  He loves his mom's pumpkin bread (it is seriously delicious, and Garla, we will definitely miss it this year!) and I found a recipe for pumpkin cookies that sounded very similar, so I thought it would be a great surprise for him!  While I was playing Betty Crocker I decided that i might as well go ahead and make some homemade blueberry muffins for him too! :)  I went to the store to get all of the ingredients and realized that canned pumpkin has not quite made its way to Australia.  Hmmm.  What to do?  By this time, I myself was totally craving the cinnamony, spicy deliciousness of pumpkin cookies so I was not going to let that stop me.  I decided that I would buy a pumpkin squash and make my own canned pumpkin.  You know what they say...when life doesn't give you canned pumpkin, make your own! :)  I absolutely hate to do this, but I'm going to brag on myself - because holy cow, I actually did it!  I cooked the pumpkin pieces and pureed them using a fork - and voila, pumpkin puree that went into making phenomenal cookies!  I spent the afternoon baking away and preparing for our date night...I packed us a picnic of salad, garlic bread, wine and diet coke and as soon as Tyson came home we were out the door (in our new car - more to come on that later by the way!) to the beach to watch the sunset!  And WOW.  BEST DATE EVER.  No wonder they call it the "Sunset Coast" - there are hardly words to describe how simply beautiful it is.  I love Texas, I miss my family and friends  SO much - but I'm so sorry - Texas just can't compare with this!  Being that this was a "progressive date", we had our salad and bread at the beach and then headed to Pronto for a perfectly YUMMY Italian dinner!  It was delicious!  I've never had better gnocchi - even in Italy!  We finished off our date back home with the pumpkin cookies...I scored mega wife points with this date! :)  

Check out my pumpkin puree!  It looks just like I poured it out of a can.  I shocked myself at how resourceful I was.

Otis Spunkmeyer better watch out - because these muffins were sinfully good!

Just as we arrived at the beach - I knew it was going to be perfect when we saw this!  The rest of the pictures walk you through the phases of the sunset - only because I couldn't help myself from taking them every 2 minutes!








This is easily going to be our regular Friday night hangout. 




He LOVED the cookies!!  If he only knew that I used real pumpkin in there!  Shh...I didn't tell him!
There's a cookie monster living in Perth and he only left ONE cookie behind!


Date night with the most handsome man in the world! 


We miss and love all of you SO much!!

4 comments:

Rufus said...

Wow. I will say that I love Texas, but there seems to be some great scenery out there. The videos were great, especially of Tyson driving on the wrong side of the car and claiming to have hit a kangaroo. By the way, have you seen any of those yet?

Good call on the homemade stuff. By the way, Karis, small group get together's have had really lame food since you've been away in comparison to things like spinach dip, cheesecake squares, etc. Now we get boring stuff like carrots.

I will really have to work hard to mock this on my competing blog, but in all seriousness, it looks like you both are having a great time there! We do miss you, so don't like it TOO Much! HA!

Nona and Papa said...

I am getting hungry! You are quite the cook Karis, I must say you didn't get that from me..being resourceful YES..you did get that from me...way to go...we miss you too!! and we will see you in 9 weeks and counting! We just love the blog...can't wait to see Perth & you and T-Man in person..love Mom

fleur said...

I'm beginning to get worried that you won't be returning to us next September. :}

You guys aren't wasting any time - you're getting out, seeing the sights, being involved...way to go! We can all live vicariously through you!

Amanda said...

I'm not going to lie...I am a little teary after getting to hear your voice on that last video...I miss you bunches! I love love love reading about all of your adventures and I am so happy that y'all are having such an amazing time!!
xooxox