Friday, September 26, 2008

We made it!

After 3 flights, 2 seven-hour layovers, and 28 hours in the air...we finally made it to Perth! We've been here for exactly one week (we just got the internet so I can finally start our blog!) and we absolutely LOVE it! Tyson is very happy at work, and of course, I am beyond happy with the exploring I've already been able to do! :) Our apartment is a bit small - but we like to think of it as cozy! The hardest part about the move so far has been learning how to cross the street! (and learning how to start the oven - it's way different than anything I've ever seen!) We've nearly been run over a few times - you'd be amazed at how hard it is to look RIGHT then left before you cross. Just wait till we get a car...it could get very interesting! All of the Aussie's are SO nice! I never dreamed we'd feel so welcomed...but we do! Every time I go out it seems like I meet someone else who is offering to tell me where things are, what's happening in Perth, or yesterday a woman even offered to let me follow her around to the main shopping centers/restaurants around here! I finally got a new memory card for my camera so I took a few pictures today. I took the train out to the E-Shed markets in Fremantle (Freo for short - the Aussie's use lots of abbreviations!) which is a city right on the coast (about 30 mins away) and on weekends they have open air markets. I also went to the markets in Subiaco (Subi for short!) which is a suburb of Perth close to us known for their shopping and cafes. I could spend forever just walking through the markets and looking at all of the super fresh fruits/veggies, gorgeous flowers and interesting types of seafood! The bummer is that I want to buy so much of it - but I only have 2 hands to carry bags of stuff home! It's funny how much you take having a car for granted - I never thought I'd miss my trunk! I also took a few pics of our precious apartment and our street - Colin Street. Tomorrow we're going on a kayaking adventure to Penguin Island and Seal/Sea Lion Island - our first true outing in the ocean! Yay!





A look at the front of our apartment building.




Colin Street!

Our living room


We have a great TV and comfy couches!


The Master Suite...not too shabby!


Looking from the living room into the kitchen


Super cute patio with a grill!

The train station at "Freo"


Looking out from the train to the port at Fremantle

A look down my favorite road in Freo - Cappuccino Strip!

Our favorite grocery store - "Wooly's"

YUM! So fresh! I'll be going to Subi every weekend for produce!

Pretty flowers at the Subi Market

6 comments:

The Scott Family said...

I am so happy you are blogging. It looks like a great area. I wish we could come visit you down under.

Marcy and Adrian said...

I'm so glad you started a blog. I can't wait to see what kind of exciting things you will be doing over the next year.

Kim said...

This is great Karis! I'm glad you ended up starting the blog. By the way, I did start a food blog on the day Hurricane Ike hit but I don't want to share it until I update it a bit more, ha! Looks like you're going to have an amazing year! Cross-Trainers misses you two!

fleur said...

What a quaint little apt and fun markets - the produce and flowers look amazing! So happy for you guys! :)

Rufus said...

This looks like an awesome place to launch Cross-Trainers International! Hopefully I will beat Tyson this week in fantasy football and then you can blog about his subsequent depression! I am excited as your adventure begins and hope to one day come visit and stroll down Cappaccino Street drinking an Iced Tea for irony. Talk to you soon! Love you guys!

Rufus said...

I've started a blog thread on my site to find out what happened to Tyson and Karis...where did my friends go?????

Stop by and let me know:
http://ramblinrufus.blogspot.com/