Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Remarkable New Zealand - Day 7!

After all of the excitement from driving, walking on glaciers, lugeing, ferry boat riding, Lord of the Rings seeking, and so on, we decided that we deserved a day to: A) sleep-in past 7:00 and B) relax a little.  So we awoke to a beautiful morning in Wanaka, had a picnic lunch on the lake, and then set off for our final destination of Queenstown.  And it only took ONE hour to get there! :)  Would you be surprised to know that this one hour was filled with towering snow-capped mountains, brilliant blue lakes, and valleys that stretch on for miles?  I didn't think so!  We took our time driving and stopped at all of the lookout points along the way.  Once again, there wasn't a lack of "ooohing and aaawing" from the Thomases.  We arrived in Queenstown at 2:00, and around 2:01 we knew we were going to love it there.  It's quite a small city that has the lodgy feel and charm of a quaint winter ski-town.  It sits nestled between snowy mountain ranges on gorgeous Lake Wakatipu.   I was really excited about the hotel I had booked for us, and I tried to keep it a surprise from Tyson because it was by far the best hotel and most outstanding view we were going to have on this whole trip.  Tripadvisor, you did not disappoint!  Tyson and I both couldn't stop smiling as we stepped onto the balcony of our "apartment" and stared across Lake Wakatipu at The Remarkables; a mountain range clearly named after its beauty.  This was one view that we could definitely get used to!      

2 comments:

Kim said...

Wow, what an awesome view from the place you stayed! Your blog is making me SO excited to possibly go to NZ next year! Looks like I'll just have to print our your blog entries and my entire trip will be planned :-)

Rufus said...

I agree with your statement "I should move here". We should all move there. The Gipsons are already almost there being in Singapore, and y'all have been there. Only a few more couples to go...